At Target, we value your trust. We want you to know how we collect, use, share and protect information about you.
What Information is Collected?
We collect the following information:
- Information you give us when interacting with Target, for example, in stores or online.
- Information from social media services, for example, Target's Facebook page
- Information from other sources, for example, address verification services
How is this Information Used?
We use guest information for multiple purposes:
- Product and Service Fulfillment
- Our Marketing Purposes
- Internal Operations
- Fraud Prevention
- Legal Compliance
How is this Information Shared?
We may share information:
- With Target
- With our service providers (for example, a printer or mobile marketing provider)
- If required to comply with legal requirements
- At your direction or request
- With other companies (for their marketing purposes)
What Choices Do You Have?
We provide you with choices about receiving marketing from Target, sharing of personal information with other companies for their marketing purposes, and receiving cookies.
How Do You Access and Update Your Personal Information?
You can access and update some of your personal information by contacting us. If you have a Target.com account, you can log in to your account to review and update information in your account.
How is Your Personal Information Protected?
We maintain administrative, technical, and physical safeguards to protect your personal information.
We collect personal information when you provide it to us, including when you:
- Purchase, order, return, exchange or request information about our products and services in our stores, website, or mobile website
- Create a Target.com account
- Connect with Target regarding guest service via our contact center, guest service desk, or on social media platforms
- Visit our website or participate in interactive features of the site or mobile applications, such as product reviews or Weekly Ad
- Use a social media service, for example, Target's Facebook page or YouTube channel.
- Create a gift registry or shopping list
- Sign up for e-mails, mobile messages, or social media notifications from Target
- Enter a contest or sweepstakes, respond to one of our surveys, or participate in a focus group
- Conduct a transaction where we collect information required by law (for example, pseudoephedrine or age-restricted purchases)
- Provide us with comments, suggestions, or other input
Types of personal information we collect include:
- Your name
- Your mailing address
- Your e-mail address
- Your phone (or mobile) number
- Your drivers' license number
- Your credit/debit card number
- Your purchase/return/exchange information
- Your registry event information
- Your date of birth or age
In order to provide the best guest experience possible, we also use this information for reporting and analysis purposes, such as how you are shopping our website, performance of our marketing efforts, and your response to those marketing efforts.
We allow third-party companies to collect certain information when you visit our website and to use that information to serve ads for Target products or services or for the products or services of other companies when you visit this website or other websites. These companies use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over, hardware/software information, MAC address, cookie and session ID, and IP address) during your visits to this and other websites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These parties typically use a cookie or a third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org/managing/opt_out.asp or www.aboutads.info.
User Experience Information
In order to improve guest online shopping experience, help with fraud identification, and to assist our guest relations representatives in resolving issues guests may experience in completing online purchases, we use tools to monitor certain user experience information; including login information, IP address, data regarding pages visited and ads clicked specific actions taken on pages visited (e.g. information entered during checkout process), and browser information.
Information from Other Sources
We obtain information from companies that can enhance our existing guest information to improve the accuracy and add to the information we have about our guests (for example, adding address information). This improves our ability to contact you and improve the relevancy of our marketing by providing better product recommendations or special offers that we think will interest you.
Any information you submit in a public forum (e.g. a blog, chat room, or social network) can be read, collected, or used by us and others, and could be used to personalize your experience. You are responsible for the information you choose to submit in these instances.
We use in-store cameras, primarily for security purposes, and also for operational purposes, such as measuring traffic patterns and tracking in-stock levels.
Examples of how we use the information we collect from and about you include:
Product and Service Fulfillment
- Fulfill and manage purchases, orders, payments, returns/exchanges, or requests for information, or to otherwise serve you
- Provide services such as Gift Registry
- Administer sweepstakes and contests
Our Marketing Purposes
- Deliver coupons, mobile coupons, newsletters, in-store receipt messages, e-mails, and mobile messages
- Send marketing communications and other information regarding products, services and promotions
- Administer promotions
- Improve the effectiveness of our website, stores, mobile experience, and marketing efforts
- Conduct research and analysis, including focus groups and surveys
- Perform other business activities as needed, or as described elsewhere in this policy
- To prevent fraudulent transactions, monitor against theft and otherwise protect our guests and our business
- To assist law enforcement and respond to subpoenas
We share the information we collect from and about you within Target Corporation, which includes all Target subsidiaries and affiliates. Target Corporation may use this information to offer you products and services that may be of interest to you. Target Corporation owns and operates Target Stores and Target web sites, and issues the Target Debit Card. Target Corporation also includes Target Bank, which issues commercial card accounts and consumer financial products, Target Canada, and Target Commercial Interiors.
Card Issuing Bank
We may share the information we collect from and about you with our banking partner, TD Bank USA N.A., which issues the Target Visa Card and Target Credit Card.
We may share the information we collect from and about you with companies that provide support services to us (such as a printer, e-mail, mobile marketing, analytics providers, web hosting providers, call center service providers, sweepstakes vendors, payment processors, coupon delivery vendors, or data enhancement provider) or that help us market our products and services. These companies may need information about you in order to perform their functions.
These companies are not authorized to use the information we share with them for any other purpose.
We may disclose information we collect from and about you when we believe disclosure is appropriate to comply with the law; to enforce or apply applicable terms and conditions and other agreements; or to protect the rights, property or safety of our company, our guests or others.
Elsewhere at Your Direction
At your direction or request, we may share your information. For example, if you create a gift registry or shopping list and elect to make it available to the public, your information will be accessible on our website, mobile or social applications, and on kiosks in our stores.
Sharing with Other Companies (for their marketing purposes)
If some or all of our business assets are sold or transferred, we may transfer the corresponding information regarding our guests. We also may retain a copy of that guest information.
If you do not wish to receive catalogs, coupons, and other promotional mail, contact us or call 800-440-0680 to opt out.
If you do not wish to receive promotional telephone calls, contact us or call 800-440-0680 to opt out. This opt out does not apply to operational phone calls, for example, confirmation of delivery address and prescription refills.
If you do not wish to receive promotional e-mails from us, contact us or call 800-440-0680 to opt out. You may still receive select e-mails from us if you have requested them through one of our services such as Weekly Ad Reminders, Gift Reminders, or E-mail me when Available notifications. You can discontinue these e-mails by canceling your subscription to these services.
You also have the ability to unsubscribe to promotional e-mails via the opt out link included in each promotional e-mail.
Sharing with Other Companies (for their marketing purposes)
If you do not wish us to share the personal information we have collected from and about you with other companies (for their marketing purposes), contact us or call 800-440-0680 to opt out.
We distribute mobile coupons and text messages to mobile devices of guests who have requested this information via an opt in request. To opt out of a specific mobile messaging campaign, reply "stop" to text messages sent from 827438 (TARGET). To opt out of Target mobile marketing, text "stop all" to 827438 (TARGET).
The help function of your browser should contain instructions to set your computer to accept all cookies, to notify you when a cookie is issued, or to not receive cookies at any time. If you set your computer to not receive cookies at any time, certain personalized services cannot be provided to you, and accordingly, you may not be able to take full advantage of all of the Target.com features (i.e. you will be able to browse the site, but will not be able to make a purchase).
Third Party Cookies
Under California law, California residents who have an established business relationship with Target may opt out of Target disclosing personal information about them to third parties for their marketing purposes. Under California law, third parties include affiliates of Target. If you do not want Target to disclose your personal information to third parties, including Target’s affiliates please call 800-440-0689 to opt out.
In order to keep your personal information accurate and complete, you can access or update some of it in the following ways:
- If you have created a Target.com account, you can log in and update your account information, including contact, billing, and shipping information.
- Contact us with your current contact information and the personal information you would like to access. We will provide you the personal information requested if reasonably available, or will describe the types of personal information we typically collect.
We maintain administrative, technical and physical safeguards to protect your personal information. This includes encrypting your credit and debit card number.
"Phishing" is a scam designed to steal your personal information. If you receive an e-mail that looks like it is from us asking you for your personal information, do not respond. We will never request your password, user name, credit card information or other personal information through e-mail.
Safe Shopping Guarantee
Our security measures are designed to prevent anyone from stealing and using your credit card number. Under the Fair Credit Billing Act, if your credit card is used without your authorization, your liability for those fraudulent charges cannot exceed $50. If your credit card provider does hold you liable for any part of this $50, we will cover this liability for you, provided the unauthorized use of your credit card resulted through no fault of your own from purchases made in our stores or at our website while using the secure server.
Children’s Personal Information
We recognize the particular importance of protecting privacy where children are involved. We are committed to protecting children's privacy. We do not knowingly collect personally identifiable information online from children under the age of 13. If a child under the age of 13 has provided us with personally identifiable information online, we ask that a parent or guardian contact us or call 800-440-0680.
How Do You Contact Target?
- Target Stores, Target Executive Offices
PO Box 9350
Minneapolis MN 55440
- Information collected or provided in connection with use of Target’s Wireless Service is treated as described in the Target Wireless Service Privacy Notice.
- Information collected or provided in connection with a Target Visa Card or a Target Credit Card is treated as described in the Target Credit Card Policy. Note, contact information you provide on a Target Credit Card application is provided to both TD Bank USA N.A. and to Target and its affiliates.
- Information collected or provided in connection with completing an application for employment with Target.
Last update: 03/13/2013
- Mar 2013
- Clarified when “information” referenced within the policy means “personal information”. Updated description of Target and its affiliates. Updated Target Cookies and Third Party Cookies sections. Added disclosure regarding sharing of personal information with our bank partner, TD Bank USA N.A. Added information about Target Mobile Applications.
- Aug 2012
- Updated Third-Party cookies section and added information about collection of User Experience Information.
- May 2012
- Added information about Target’s Wireless (Wi-Fi) Service in Stores, including link to Wireless Service Privacy Notice.
- Apr 2011
- Added offline, mobile, and social collection, use, and sharing of information, expanded guest choice options.
- Aug 2009
- Added additional details about Cookies and Targeted Advertising. Removed information for pharmacy guests in New York and Texas.
- Feb 2008
- Added information for pharmacy guests in Texas.
- Jan 2008
- Added information about the Target Debit Card, added additional information to the "What are 'Cookies' and how do we use them?" paragraph, added information about "phishing" and revised the "Security" section.
- Sep 2005
- Added Target Commercial Interiors as a member of the Target.
- Oct 2004
- Added Target Bank as a member of the Target.
- Aug 2004
- Removed references to Mervyn's Stores and Mervyns.com.